Sony BDP-BX18/S185 Blu-ray Player with HDMI cable (Black)



List Price : $139.99 Price :
Sony BDP-BX18/S185 Blu-ray Player with HDMI cable (Black)

Product Description

Watch what you want, when you want. With the BDP-BX18/S185 Blu-ray Disc player, not only can you play your Blu-ray Disc movies in astonishing Full HD 1080p, you can stream movies, videos, TV shows and music from online sources like Video Unlimited, Netflix, Pandora, YouTube, Hulu Plus and more (Ethernet connection required)1. Post to Facebook or Tweet about the movies you're watching with the Socialize feature, or enjoy your photos, home videos and music on your TV via the convenient front USB slot. And because new apps are delivered automatically, you'll always have the latest and greatest. With the Sony BDPBX18 Blu-ray Disc Player, enjoy all the same features as the Sony BDP-S185 along with the added benefit of an HDMI cable.


  • Full HD 1080p Blu-ray Disc playback & DVD upscaling
  • Internet streaming: Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, HuluPlus and more
  • Music, photo, and video playback via front USB slot
  • IP Noise Reduction for improved internet video playback
  • Energy Star 2.0 compliant


Sony BDP-BX18/S185 Blu-ray Player with HDMI cable (Black) Reviews


Sony BDP-BX18/S185 Blu-ray Player with HDMI cable (Black) Reviews


Amazon.com
Customer Reviews
Average Customer Review
58 Reviews
5 star:
 (24)
4 star:
 (6)
3 star:
 (8)
2 star:
 (6)
1 star:
 (14)
 
 
 

138 of 144 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great device for an unbeatable price, December 5, 2011
This review is from: Sony BDP-BX18/S185 Blu-ray Player with HDMI cable (Black) (Electronics)
When I saw this Sony BDP-BX18 is selling at $74.95 at local costco, I immediately put it in my cart. But then I did the mistake of checking the review of this item on my smart phone and came across so many negative reviews here on Amazon. I was second guessing my decision but finally settled for it as I was buying from Costco. I could always return it if the product came out bad. But boy!! Was I taken aback!! This a wonderful product for its price range and moreover it's from Sony.

I don't normally do a review, but so many negative reviews compelled me to put some good words for this product. This product is not as advanced or feature filled as Roku, nor does it claim to be. If your main medium of entertainment is Internet and you're 100% into streaming, go buy a Roku. It's a blu-ray disc player and happens to add some on-line services and does the former job outstandingly and the latter job fairly decently.

I was replacing my upstreaming DVD player and the setup... Read more
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you?  Yes No


43 of 43 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Same device as the BDP-S185. Please read ALL the reviews., January 30, 2012
By 
G. J. Waldman (S.F. Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   
This review is from: Sony BDP-BX18/S185 Blu-ray Player with HDMI cable (Black) (Electronics)
When I saw that the rating of the BDP-BX18 was considerably lower than the BDP-S185 I just had to write this.
They're both the SAME PLAYER.
The BX18 is simply the S185 packaged for big-box discount stores with an HDMI cable included in the box.
That's the only difference.
Do a websearch for the BX18 manual and you'll see that it's the same manual for both. Both model numbers are even on the manual's cover page.
The Amazon description incorrectly states that the BX18 has two USB ports, one in front and one in back, but that is incorrect. There is only the one USB port in the front, exactly like the S185.
The Amazon description also fails to mention the included HDMI cable but it's a nice bonus. If you're considering the two and if the prices are close then you may as well go for the BX18 and get the free cable.
I don't know if the bad reviews are due to the prejudice against the big-box stores or what, but before you make your decision, read the... Read more
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you?  Yes No


56 of 59 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars A decent player, but NOT plug and play!, December 27, 2011
This review is from: Sony BDP-BX18/S185 Blu-ray Player with HDMI cable (Black) (Electronics)
I had the same issues as previous reviewers with Netflix (did not load properly more often than it did load), but did some research on Sony's website as well as other reviews of Sony Blu-Ray players and came up with this "fix" to the wired set-up to make Netflix run better. The instructions on Sony's website are terribly generic, so I've cleaned it up and made it specific for this device.

Select Network Settings.
Select Wired Setup.
Select Custom.
Enter the IP Address used by the customer (OR use Auto).
Enter either of the following public DNS : 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.8 (I made the first one the primary, the second one the secondary).

So far this seems to have addressed the problem... but it's still shameful that these steps need to be taken just to make one of the selling points of this device work properly!!
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you?  Yes No


Share your thoughts with other customers:
  See all 58 customer reviews...